Sunday 25 November 2007

MBA pros and cons (short version)





Here's what I think.

Pros:

- It is widely believed that it will be a truly great year full of exciting events and personal growth, possibly best year of your life

- Opens doors to firms, careers and opportunities previously unattainable

- A chance to meet a multitude of extraordinary people and make new friends for life - that one probably tilted the scale for me when I was deciding whether to go or not


Cons:

- Costly, very very costly

- Nothing is guaranteed, a lot of recruiters come to campus, but you have to apply and be rejected just as if you weren't getting an MBA. In view of the current developments, it might be even more so for those keen on banking. It has been mentioned during the finance chat that banking recruitment is currently weak and although summer internship placements were record high, full-time offers might not be as plentiful

- Limited value from academic curriculum - those were my thoughts when I first looked through the core courses - I've already covered most of that in my undergraduate years and professional degree

No comments: